Originally when I started getting hard core into crochet again, I had some ideas of making things game-themed. The first rather time consuming project was the scarf for Mistwidget. I picked the yarn in a sage color for his mistweaver, and picked the broomstitch lace pattern because it reminded me of the monk icons and their twirly healing spells.
I thought perhaps I could run with a theme like that. Like, make items that are unique to a class but subtly so, where people could wear it and it wouldn’t scream ‘omg dork!’. Broomstick lace for monks, a sharp wave stitch for rogues, perhaps Tunisian lace fan for priests, etc. Buuuut, would that association really help and, could I get in trouble because I don’t work for or own Blizzards stuff?
Not sure how that would work out. Randomly ran into this little event however, which is to cloth the orc in front of Blizzards headquarters with knitting or crochet squares.
It had to be in grey and blue, for some reason, and I thought about it for a while but went with the flower stitch I’ve done before. It ends up looking 3d and I did it in grey because it’s slightly reminded me of an Iron Star.
I follow a couple of channels on youtube who create patterns I like, but I’m finding one in particular has everything coming out way too big. I use the same hook, the same yarn, but it’s simply WAY too large.
One was the mandala pattern. I wasn’t even finished but it would have been dragging on the ground and sagging from its own weight, so that had to be frogged and many hours wasted. And the problem with some patterns is you have no idea it will be too big until you are almost done!
We also had the cocoon sweater, which would be waaaaay too large the recommended size of about 42 inches. I made one like that which required a pound of yarn and then some, but then it ended up hanging past my knees. I’m almost petite sizing so that might be some of it, but I find I have to reduce everything by about 8 inches for it to work for me.
The scarf pictured also came out way too long, at almost 10 feet and if I had repeated as the pattern called, far too wide as well. I stopped at 2 repeats and I think I’ll finish it but the next one will be reduce by about 2 entire feet.
I should have paid better attention when I chained the first line on that one though.
Finished the wave blanket, and pretty happy with how it came out. I constantly had to adjust the stitches no matter how carefully I counted, but it still looks just fine. I plan on this being a xmas present and although I meant it to be a throw, it’s practically twin blanket sized. But hey, finally done!
As large as this came out, it didn’t feel like as much work as it was. It’s about 50×50 and not flawless by any means thanks to running out of one tan and having to use ANOTHER tan (in two different shades!) I think it came out really well. I’m going to put a tassel fringe on each side to help it look a little cleaner and smooth out the side-curl.